We explored Arbroath, an old fishing port known for its ‘smokies’– smoked haddock fish in tiny smokeries at the harbor. The stinking smell of fish wafting in the wind makes it hard to miss the smokies. But besides the local cuisine, the town is best known for its Abbey and the Declaration of Arbroath, a proclamation of Scottish Independence from the days of King Robert the Bruce.
Here is a brief recap of our time there. Our walk and exploration of the town started at the harbor, where Arbroath’s first protection for boats was built in 1394.
The Signal Tower was built in 1813, a former signaling station for the Bell Rock lighthouse, but now it is a museum.
Strolling pass houses and little shops, we continued down a path to beachfront cottages and a long stretch of rocky beach with choppy waves.
Climbing a footpath to the beach’s cliff, we walked across a grassy bank back to town center, all the way to Arbroath Abbey.
Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1189. Now in ruins, its red sandstone facade attracts visitors, while reminding the Scots of their independence: Under Robert the Bruce, the Scottish Barons had assembled and signed the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320.