Today I’m sharing my organic dessert of the week: Wild Blueberry Crum-bar. I needed to use up some ingredients lying around the house, so this idea came to mind and I decided to execute on it. This healthy, wholesome plant-based dessert is simple and contains no added sugar, oil, or salt. It’s easy to make, guilt free and nutritious!
3 c rolled oats
2.5 c wild blueberries, thawed or fresh
6 soft and pitted dates
1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
1 tbsp non-alcoholic vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 c coconut water
1. Soak dates with liquids (vanilla, coconut water, lemon juice) for 10 minutes, or until softened.
2. Blend dates with liquid until smooth.
3. Stir liquid mixture over oats and cinnamon in a pot over stove at lowest heat for a couple of minutes and take off heat. Do not overheat. This step isn’t really necessary, but it helps to make your crumble top a little crispy.
4. Take half of the newly made crumble mixture and plate it into a baking container.
5. Top the crumble layer with blueberries, without any added blueberry juice if using frozen.
6. Layer the rest of the crumble on top of the blueberries.
7. Bake at 350 F for 20 – 25 minutes, or until golden and slightly crispy.
Any crum-bar remainders can be stored in the fridge and reheated in the oven at 300 F for 10 minutes.
Eat this alone, or top it with your choice of plant-based ice kream. I made my own banana ice kream, which was just fresh frozen banana, blended with a dash of coconut water until a creamy consistency. Together, the combo was so delicious!
When you prepare healthy desserts free of cholesterol, added fats and sugar, it is real food and you don’t have to worry about how much you consume. Preparing your own food at home is always the best: You can control your ingredients, make it all organic, and adjust the flavors to your desire.
Bon appétit! Enjoy, and remember to keep it healthy! ❤